Security Council to discuss Libyan no-fly zone soon
United Nations: As Muammar Gaddafi`s forces
get closer to the rebel stronghold of Benghazi in Libya, the Security Council will meet soon to discuss a draft resolution for imposing a no-fly zone over the country.
As fierce fighting continues between Muammar Gaddafi`s
troops and opposition groups, the Security Council will meet
today to discuss a draft resolution for imposing a no-fly zone
The text of the draft resolution, which has been
co-authored by Britain and France, was circulated by Lebanon,
a non-permanent member of the Council yesterday, but other
countries in the Council are still not completely on board.
"The Lebanese colleague tried to answer the questions and
he also believed that he has to check with members of the Arab
League," said Li Baodong, China`s envoy to the UN, who holds
the rotating presidency of the Council for this month.
"He will come back tomorrow with some answers and members
believe that they should report what was discussed by the
council and also the draft back to their capitals to get
instructions," Li told reporters.
On Saturday, the Arab League called for a no-fly zone to
be imposed over Libya but questions have been raised about the
implementation of this measure including where will the assets
for this step come from.
Nawaf Salam, Lebanon`s envoy to the UN told journalists
that the draft resolution had been submitted by his country
together with Libyan diplomats, to be discussed as a "working paper".
As to the question of civilian areas and safe passages
that need protection, which was also part of the Arab League
decision, the delegation of my country has asked our
colleagues in the Libyan mission to identify to us such areas
in order to properly follow up on the matter," Salam told
Responding to concerns that a no-fly zone would look like
foreign intervention, Salam said, "An authorisation by the UN
Security Council by no means can be a form of foreign
Last month, the Security Council adopted a resolution
slapping sanctions on the Libyan regime, which included a
complete arms embargo, an asset freeze and a travel ban on
Gaddafi and his loyalists, and a referral to the Hague-based
International Criminal Court.
The resolution, however, has not deterred the Libyan
strongman from his agenda of consolidating power by using
The draft resolution, Salam said, included a second
section "related to the strengthening and widening of
sanctions imposed on Libya".
Responding to whether China would support the no-fly
zone, Li said full implementation of the previous Security
Council resolution imposing sanctions.
"We believe that Security Council should consider the
next step," he added.
"But what step should be taken really depends on the
consultations among member states and also depends on whether
that will be helpful to bring back the peace and end
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015