Security threat set to be severe at London 2012
London: Britain`s national terror threat will remain at a severe level during the 2012 London Olympics, the country`s national counter-terrorism minister said on Thursday.
The current threat was raised to the second highest classification in January, meaning an attack is highly likely in Britain.
To test the country`s preparedness to cope with a major incident, a series of national counter-terrorism simulations will be conducted in the run-up to the opening ceremony on July 27, 2012.
"We must work on the assumption that (the threat) will remain as it is," Counter-Terrorism and Security Minister Pauline Neville-Jones told an Olympic security conference. "A rigorous testing and exercising program is about to start involving all levels of management and responsible parts of government."
There are expected to be 9,000 police officers protecting London each day of the Olympics and securing the transport network.
Neville-Jones, a former head of Britain`s MI5 domestic spy agency, said that will be "one of the greatest challenges”.
The day after London was awarded the Olympics in 2005, suicide bombers targeted the British capital`s transit network, killing 52 people.
London`s Metropolitan Police is also "looking to see what we would do if (the threat) moved to critical," assistant commissioner Chris Allison later told delegates.
"We have to be aware that the terrorist threat maybe there, but the impact of the last couple of weeks (with student protests sparking minor riots in London) is a timely reminder that we also have to be ready for public disorder," Allison said.
Another area of concern is cyber crime. The 2008 Beijing Games were hit by 12 million cyber attacks per day, according to British government statistics.
"The games unavoidably are an attractive cyber target," Neville-Jones said. "What we have got to ensure is that it is not extraordinarily a soft target... cyber threats may come from a number of sources. “
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday