`Self-immolations threaten Tibet stability`
Beijing: Accusing the Dalai Lama of instigating extremist acts in Tibet, an official daily in China on Saturday said the current spate of self-immolations threatened the social stability in the Himalayan region.
"The self-immolations have also caused grave concerns in Tibetan Buddhist circles; if not stopped they will not only cost lives but also threaten social stability as they subvert the tenets of Buddhism," China Daily said in an article.
"Dalai Lama`s separatist clique continue to instigate such extremist acts and to orchestrate violent riots in Tibetan-populated areas under the pretext of preserving Tibetan traditional culture and maintaining the freedom of Tibetan Buddhism," it said.
"Such activities pervert the ideals of Tibetan Buddhism and threaten social progress as well as the religion," it said.
So far, over 30 people have attempted suicides in Tibet and outside.
"The Dalai Lama, who likes to portray himself as an advocate of `non-violence` and Tibet`s `spiritual leader`, has failed to appeal for an end to such acts and some of his clique have hailed those who set themselves alight as `heroes`," the daily said.
It also attacked the Prime Minister of the Tibetan government in exile, Lobsong Sangay, for "justifying" self-immolations with "customary accusations of ethnic repression, religious persecution and cultural genocide, which they habitually use to promote their separatist agenda".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org