Self-immolations won`t help Dalai Lama: Chinese daily
Beijing: The Dalai Lama and his supporters are doomed to fail in their attempt to attain Tibetan independence by stoking self-immolations, Chinese newspaper People`s Daily said Tuesday.
Instigating self-immolations in China`s ethnic Tibetan areas was "among the latest tactics that the Dalai clique has taken in recent years to achieve their political purposes", the article said.
Since fleeing China in 1959, the Dalai Lama and his followers "have masterminded a series of seriously violent incidents, including the March 14 riots in Lhasa in 2008", it said.
"All of them are aimed at `Tibet independence`," the article noted.
"Soon after self-immolations occur, the Dalai clique repeatedly demands `peace talks` to be held between China`s central authorities and the self-declared `Tibetan government-in-exile` for `solving Tibet-related issues`, China`s state-run news agency Xinhua said.
Leaders of the "Tibetan government-in-exile" in Dharamsala in India`s Himachal Pradesh have also publicly voiced "hopes" that self-immolations in China`s ethnic Tibetan areas will lead to turmoil similar to the 2011 riots in the Arab world, it said.
The article in People`s Daily followed "some Western media" in pointing out that self-immolations of Tibetans have already became a means for the Dalai Lama and the "Tibetan government-in-exile" to pressure China for political interests.
"But China`s unity, strength and rising international status will never be shaken by these inhumane acts", it said.
"Whatever means they take, the Dalai Lama and his followers can`t change the general situation of Tibet`s development and stability, nor their doomed chances of splitting Tibet from China," the author said.
According to the Tibetan government-in-exile, a total of 92 self-immolation cases have taken place since 2009. Over 20 cases took place in November this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan