Senate Democrats eye key US health care victory
Washington: Democrats in the US Senate strove to lock down support to prevail in a landmark first test vote of President Barack Obama`s top domestic priority, remaking the US health care system.
Adding to their confidence, a wavering Democrat, Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska, said he would vote with his party on Saturday while warning he might side with Republicans in subsequent fights.
"We are not assuming a thing. We are working hard to bring all Democrats together for the 60 votes necessary to proceed to this historic debate," Senator Dick Durbin, the party`s Senate vote counter, told reporters.
Democrats were increasingly confident they would win a procedural vote a day later on what would be the most sweeping overhaul of its kind in four decades, extending health care coverage to an estimated 31 million Americans at a price tag of about USD 848 billion through 2019.
The White House, which has aggressively courted undecided Democrats, declared the legislation "a critical milestone" on Obama`s signature issue and warned "the nation cannot wait another year for health insurance reform."
Democrats needed 60 votes to override any delaying tactics from Republicans and approve a resolution that would formally start the debate -- a hurdle shaping up as the legislation`s biggest test to date.
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was already looking beyond the early skirmish to win the broader battle by courting a handful of swing-vote, centrist lawmakers to vote in favour of the overhaul itself.
After next week`s Thanksgiving holiday break, Reid will speak to individual senators to "make sure they each have some peace of mind about what the bill does and can support it, and if they have a concern, address it," said Durbin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed