Senator questions Obama on cash payment to Karzai
Washington: Arguing that alleged secret payments made to Afghan President Hamid Karzai by the CIA not only lacks accountability but also encourages corruption, a top US Senator has sought an explanation from President Barack Obama on reports in this regard.
Karzai has already acknowledged having received such payments from CIA, but neither the agency nor the White House have commented on it till now.
"These secret payments lack any kind of accountability, encourage the very kind of corruption we`re trying to prevent in Afghanistan, and further undermine US taxpayers` confidence in our government," Senator Bob Corker said in a letter sent to Obama yesterday.
"Our assistance to Afghanistan should have long since evolved to a carefully coordinated, fully transparent effort across federal agencies with appropriate congressional oversight to ensure US aid meets our national interests," Corker said.
Ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Corker said this is his second letter to Obama, but has not received any response from the White House yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Juergen Klopp disappointed as Liverpool haunted by familiar failings
- Know how much you have to exactly pay for cancelling confirmed Rail e-tickets
- India pivotal power, can tilt Asia the way it wants: MJ Akbar
- Jat association AIJASS warns of fresh agitation
- Indian cargo ship heading for Yemen sinks off Oman: Reports