Senator questions Obama on cash payment to Karzai
Washington: Arguing that alleged secret payments made to Afghan President Hamid Karzai by the CIA not only lacks accountability but also encourages corruption, a top US Senator has sought an explanation from President Barack Obama on reports in this regard.
Karzai has already acknowledged having received such payments from CIA, but neither the agency nor the White House have commented on it till now.
"These secret payments lack any kind of accountability, encourage the very kind of corruption we`re trying to prevent in Afghanistan, and further undermine US taxpayers` confidence in our government," Senator Bob Corker said in a letter sent to Obama yesterday.
"Our assistance to Afghanistan should have long since evolved to a carefully coordinated, fully transparent effort across federal agencies with appropriate congressional oversight to ensure US aid meets our national interests," Corker said.
Ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Corker said this is his second letter to Obama, but has not received any response from the White House yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok