Senator questions Obama on cash payment to Karzai
Washington: Arguing that alleged secret payments made to Afghan President Hamid Karzai by the CIA not only lacks accountability but also encourages corruption, a top US Senator has sought an explanation from President Barack Obama on reports in this regard.
Karzai has already acknowledged having received such payments from CIA, but neither the agency nor the White House have commented on it till now.
"These secret payments lack any kind of accountability, encourage the very kind of corruption we`re trying to prevent in Afghanistan, and further undermine US taxpayers` confidence in our government," Senator Bob Corker said in a letter sent to Obama yesterday.
"Our assistance to Afghanistan should have long since evolved to a carefully coordinated, fully transparent effort across federal agencies with appropriate congressional oversight to ensure US aid meets our national interests," Corker said.
Ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Corker said this is his second letter to Obama, but has not received any response from the White House yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- GM re-evaluates India investment, new car platform on hold
- Raunchiest Olympics ever: Record number of condoms for 2016 Rio athletes
- Donald Trump says US could pull out of World Trade Organization
- Premier Futsal: Mumbai 5's crowned champions of inaugural edition
- 'Munich gunman planned shooting for a year, chose victims randomly'