Senegal arrests suspected coup plotters
Dakar: Authorities in Senegal have arrested a number of suspects believed to have been plotting a coup d`état in the West African state, its justice minister said on Saturday.
"The state prosecutor has decided to nip in the bud a plot aimed at a coup d`état by arresting a number of individuals identified as members of the plot," Justice Minister Cheikh Tidiane Sy said in a statement read out on state television.
The arrests were announced hours before a protest rally against the government of President Abdoulaye Wade scheduled for Saturday in the capital Dakar and which has been backed by a broad coalition of opposition parties.
Tidiane Sy said authorities had learned that "commandos" linked to opposition groups had been planning a number of actions around the capital which would have resulted in deaths. He gave no further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery