Senegal arrests suspected coup plotters
Dakar: Authorities in Senegal have arrested a number of suspects believed to have been plotting a coup d`état in the West African state, its justice minister said on Saturday.
"The state prosecutor has decided to nip in the bud a plot aimed at a coup d`état by arresting a number of individuals identified as members of the plot," Justice Minister Cheikh Tidiane Sy said in a statement read out on state television.
The arrests were announced hours before a protest rally against the government of President Abdoulaye Wade scheduled for Saturday in the capital Dakar and which has been backed by a broad coalition of opposition parties.
Tidiane Sy said authorities had learned that "commandos" linked to opposition groups had been planning a number of actions around the capital which would have resulted in deaths. He gave no further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre