Senegal arrests suspected coup plotters
Dakar: Authorities in Senegal have arrested a number of suspects believed to have been plotting a coup d`état in the West African state, its justice minister said on Saturday.
"The state prosecutor has decided to nip in the bud a plot aimed at a coup d`état by arresting a number of individuals identified as members of the plot," Justice Minister Cheikh Tidiane Sy said in a statement read out on state television.
The arrests were announced hours before a protest rally against the government of President Abdoulaye Wade scheduled for Saturday in the capital Dakar and which has been backed by a broad coalition of opposition parties.
Tidiane Sy said authorities had learned that "commandos" linked to opposition groups had been planning a number of actions around the capital which would have resulted in deaths. He gave no further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Spot the hidden Panda in picture! Click here
- PM Narendra Modi unhappy with BJP lawmakers for not using social media, appoints tutors
- Ethics committee Chairman to present report on Vijay Mallya in Rajya Sabha today
- AgustaWestland chopper deal scam: CBI grills ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi, Gautam Khaitan
- Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray advance to 3rd round at Madrid Masters