Senegal prime minister sacked
Dakar: Senegal`s president sacked Prime Minister Aminata Toure, who has only been in power since September, less than a week after her ruling party was beaten in local elections.
"Ms Aminata Toure`s functions have been terminated," said a decree signed by President Macky Sall yesterday, a copy of which was obtained by AFP.
An official at the president`s office said that the resignation of the prime minister "means that the government has been dissolved".
Toure, who is 51, is the head of the Alliance for the Republic and was named prime minister last year to replace incumbent Abdoul Mbaye.
Her departure comes less than a week after preliminary results from the June 29 local elections showed defeats for the APR in Dakar and a number of key cities across the country. Official results are still being awaited.
Many members of the government who were running in the local polls were beaten in their strongholds -- a blow for the APR, which controlled only a few towns before the election and was hoping to reinforce its local support bases.
More than 5.3 million people were eligible to vote for more than 2,700 councillors across the country.
"Since her defeat by Khalifa Sall, (she) has been in the hot seat," RTS national radio commented.
However, the governing "Benno Bokk Yaakaar" (Together With The Same Hope) coalition reportedly won in more than 70 percent of the country`s constituencies.
Toure has degrees in economy and management from universities in Senegal, France and the United States and worked for the United Nations in several countries.
She was the second woman prime minister in Senegal after Madior Boye, who headed the government between March 2001 and November 2002.
In her government policy statement in October, Toure promised to meet social demands and restart the country`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested