Senior Boko Haram commander captured: Nigeria police
Abuja: Nigerian police on Saturday announced that they have captured a senior commander of a radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram in the northern city of Kano.
According to security sources, Suleiman Mohammed is known to be a leading Boko Haram figure in Kano.
"We made an arrest on Friday based on intelligence reports concerning his hideout and he was arrested successfully with his wife and children in his hideout," Kano state police commissioner Ibrahim Idris told a news agency.
"He is now being interrogated by the security agents. He has been flown to Abuja. He is Suleiman Mohammed, a Nigerian, Yoruba by tribe. He is the operational leader of the sect in Kano."
Idris also said that explosives, ammunition and guns were also recovered at Mohammed`s hideout.
Boko Haram is waging a growing sectarian battle with Nigeria`s weak central government, using suicide car bombs and assault rifles in attacks across the country`s predominantly Muslim north and around its capital, Abuja. Those killed have included Christians, Muslims and government officials.
The sect has been blamed for killing more than 450 people this year alone, according to a news agency’s count.
Diplomats and military officials say Boko Haram has links with two other al Qaeda-aligned terrorist groups in Africa. Members of the sect also reportedly have been spotted in northern Mali, an area where Tuareg rebels and hardline Islamists seized control over the past month.
Nigeria, a multiethnic nation of more than 160 million people, has seen anger grow over crushing poverty and corrupt politicians in the north, fuelling resentment against the government and the West in the oil-rich nation.
(With Agency’s inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family