Senior Canadian commander relieved of post in Afghanistan

The most senior Canadian military commander in Afghanistan, Brigadier-General Daniel Menard, has been relieved of his post after allegations of inappropriate conduct.

Montreal: The most senior Canadian military
commander in Afghanistan, Brigadier-General Daniel Menard, has
been relieved of his post after allegations of "inappropriate
conduct," Canada`s Defense Ministry said Sunday.

Menard, formerly commander of the Joint-Task Force
Afghanistan (JTF-Afg), was dismissed after allegations of
"inappropriate conduct related to the Canadian Forces Personal
Relationships and Fraternisation directives," the ministry
said.

Canadian public television station CBC, citing military
sources, said Menard was allegedly having an affair with a
female member of his staff.

Canadian military rules prohibit personal relationship
that have "a negative effect on the security, cohesion,
discipline or morale of a unit."

Menard`s wife is also a member of the Canadian military.
In a statement, the Canadian Defense Ministry said
Menard`s conduct caused his commander, Lieutenant-General Marc
Lessard, "to lose confidence in BGen Menard`s capacity to
command."

"An investigation into the circumstances related to the
allegations is being launched," the statement added.
Menard will be replaced by Brigadier General Jon Vance,
pending the arrival of the next JTF-Afg commander, Brigadier
General Dean Milner.

Menard had already faced disciplinary action after
pleading guilty at a court martial this week to negligently
firing his weapon at the Kandahar Airfield, where Canadian
troops are based in southern Afghanistan, on March 25.


He was fined USD 3,332 over the incident, in which no one
was injured.

Canada has some 2,800 troops in Afghanistan, most of them
deployed in Kandahar, and plans to withdraw from the conflict
in 2011.

PTI

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close