Senior Muslim Brotherhood leader dies in prison
Mansoura: A senior leader of Egypt`s Islamist Muslim Brotherhood movement, Safwat Khalil, has died in jail in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, according to reports from the region.
Khalil, 59, who had cancer, died in custody Thursday shortly after a court ruling that ordered his release and that of 48 members of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Khalil`s death in prison was confirmed by the Muslim Brotherhood which accused Egyptian authorities of "reluctance" to release Khalil even after the court order.
He was due to be freed Saturday after being arrested last month along with scores of Brotherhood supporters on charges of inciting violence and possession of weapons.
Khalil`s health had recently deteriorated, especially after he was taken to court in a police van instead of an ambulance, according to one of his lawyers.
Thousands of people were reported to have taken to the streets to hold peaceful protests in Egypt days after a Cairo court Monday ordered that Brotherhood funds be seized.
Two days later, police stormed the headquarters of a Brotherhood newspaper and shut it down.
Egyptian authorities have unleashed a massive crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood leaders, rounding up hundreds of the group`s senior and mid-ranking members, topped by its spiritual leader Mohamed Badie and deputies Khairat al-Shater and Rashad Bayoumi.
Brotherhood supporters had held sit-ins in Cairo demanding the reinstatement of elected Islamist president Mohammed Morsi who was deposed by the army July 3 after millions protested his rule.
Many hundreds of people, including nearly 100 soldiers and police, are said to have been killed in violent clashes between protesters and the army since Morsi`s ouster July 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report