Senior officers among 5 killed in Caucasus: Reports
Moscow: Five people were killed, including three senior military officers, in a spate of attacks by militants in Russia`s unrest-plagued Northern Caucasus region of Dagestan, reports said on Saturday.
The three officers died when they came under fire yesterday in the town of Buynaksk west of the Dagestan capital Makhachkala, Russian news agencies and state television reported.
Two lieutenant colonels -the head of the armaments department in the local chief of staff and another senior officer in the department -died on the spot, state television said.
Another officer, the head of the service of rocket and artillery weaponry for the 136th motorcycle brigade, died on his way to hospital.
Two hours later, another Russian serviceman was killed when unidentified individuals entered inside the military base in Buynaksk and stabbed him after stealing his mobile phone, news agencies said.
It was not immediately clear if the two incidents were linked.
In another fatal attack in Dagestan, the chief administrator in the village of Cherniayevka, in the Kizlyar district, was shot and killed near his house, an official from Dagestan`s Interior Ministry said, Interfax reported.
The authorities have been battling a persistent Islamist-inspired insurgency in the Caucasus that has claimed scores of lives annually over the past years in the regions of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!