Sense of destiny drives China aggression: US intel
Washington: The chief of US intelligence says China`s aggressive pursuit of territorial claims in the seas of East Asia is driven by a sense of historical destiny and is causing great concern among countries in the region.
Director of Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said China has pursued a very impressive military modernization that is designed to address America`s own military strengths.
Clapper was responding to a question on China`s recent actions in the East and South China Seas posed at a House Intelligence Committee hearing today on worldwide threats.
He said China has been greatly concerned by the increased US attention to Asia, viewing it as an attempt at containment.
Clapper said China has been "quite aggressive in asserting in what they see as their manifest destiny."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan