Sense of destiny drives China aggression: US intel
Washington: The chief of US intelligence says China`s aggressive pursuit of territorial claims in the seas of East Asia is driven by a sense of historical destiny and is causing great concern among countries in the region.
Director of Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said China has pursued a very impressive military modernization that is designed to address America`s own military strengths.
Clapper was responding to a question on China`s recent actions in the East and South China Seas posed at a House Intelligence Committee hearing today on worldwide threats.
He said China has been greatly concerned by the increased US attention to Asia, viewing it as an attempt at containment.
Clapper said China has been "quite aggressive in asserting in what they see as their manifest destiny."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’