Seoul sees N Korea jamming device as new security threat
Seoul: A North Korean jamming device capable of disrupting guided weapons poses a fresh threat to South Korea`s security, the South`s defence chief said on Tuesday.
Defence Minister Kim Tae-Young told Parliament that the North had imported Russian equipment to jam South Korea`s GPS (Global Positioning System) reception.
"North Korea`s GPS jamming is seen as a fresh security threat" as it can disrupt guided weapons, he said.
The North is thought to have been responsible for the intermittent failure of GPS receivers on naval and civilian craft along the west coast from August 23 to 25, Kim said yesterday.
He also said the North was capable of jamming GPS reception over a distance of up to 100 kilometres.
"This could impose a serious threat to South Korea`s GPS-guided weapons such as missiles and smart weapons," Chae Yeon-Seok, a researcher at the state-run Korea Aerospace Research Institute, said.
In Iraq, US troops used GPS-guided weapons for precision strikes against tanks on roads without damaging other facilities, he said.
"If GPS signals from satellites are jammed, such weapons would lose directions to deliver warheads to targets," he added.
North Korea has modified Russian equipment to make its own version, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper said, adding the regime has been trying to export its GPS interrupter to the Middle East.
The North`s GPS interrupter is believed to be effective in preventing US and South Korean GPS-guided bombs and missiles from hitting their target accurately, it said.
The South has pushed for longer-range weaponry to counter the threat from hundreds of North Korean ballistic missiles.
The North has about 600 Scud missiles capable of hitting targets in South Korea, and possibly also able to reach Japanese territory. There are another 200 Rodong-1 missiles which could reach Tokyo.
The North has test-launched intercontinental Taepodong missiles three times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’