Seoul to stage live-fire drill near North Korea border
Seoul: South Korea was to stage
live-fire artillery exercises on two islands near the tense
border with North Korea, including one hit by a deadly barrage
from the North last November.
The one-day "regular" exercises would be carried out
on Baengnyeong and Yeonpyeong islands in the Yellow Sea, a
defence ministry spokesman said without giving a time for the
firing or other details.
Yonhap news agency, quoting military sources, said
marines would fire K-9 self-propelled howitzers, Vulcan cannon
and 81mm mortars during the two-hour drill.
About 10 US military officers would attend the
exercises as observers, it said.
A similar South Korean drill last November was
answered by a North Korean artillery and rocket attack on
Yeonpyeong island, which killed two marines and two civilians.
The North said it was responding to the "provocative"
drill, which dropped shells into waters it claims around the
The South said its exercise was routine, with weapons
pointed away from the North`s coastline.
Tuesday`s drills will be the second live-fire exercise
on the two islands this year. The previous one passed without
incident despite threats from the North to hit back.
Tensions along the Yellow Sea border have been acute
since the shelling, the first attack on a civilian-populated
area in the South since the 1950-53 war.
The South also accuses the North of torpedoing a
warship near the border in March 2010 with the loss of 46
sailors. The North denies involvement in the sinking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video