Serb medical team for Mladic to include 5 doctors
Belgrade: Five doctors from Serbia will travel to the Netherlands next week to examine former Bosnian Serb army Ratko Mladic, who was too ill to attend a pre-trial hearing at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal.
The team of Serbian doctors will work together with those from the UN tribunal in The Hague in assessing Mladic`s health, Serbian Health Minister Zoran Stankovic said on Friday.
He expressed hope that the Serb doctors will have a say in the further treatment as well.
Mladic was too ill to appear at Thursday`s hearing during which the 69 year old was to enter a plea to a new allegation of more killings by Serb forces under his command during the early 1990s.
The court did not release details of Mladic`s illness, but since arriving at the tribunal earlier this year Mladic has suffered from a kidney stone, had surgery for a hernia and been hospitalised with pneumonia. He also reportedly suffered two strokes while on the run from international justice for 16 years.
"Mladic`s legal team has asked for doctors from Serbia to check his health condition," Stankovic said. "Together with the doctors from the Hague they will decide on therapy and treatment."
Mladic faces charges of genocide and crimes against humanity for allegedly masterminding Serb atrocities throughout the Bosnian War.
His absence from courtroom underscored the frailty of his health and fears he may not be well enough to survive the rigors of a trial expected to last years when it finally gets under way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened