Serbia mourns 13 killed in `monstrous` gun rampage
Velika Ivanca (Serbia): Serbia holds a national day of mourning on Wednesday after a war veteran went on a killing spree, shooting dead 13 relatives and neighbours including his son, his mother and a two-year-old child, in his tiny village near Belgrade.
It was the worst such incident in two decades in the Balkan country, shocked by what police called a "monstrous" crime.
Police identified the gunman as 60-year-old Ljubisa Bogdanovic, who shot most of his victims in the head as they slept before trying to kill himself and his wife.
Both were seriously wounded along with a third person, who later died in a hospital, Serbian police chief Milorad Veljovic told reporters at the scene yesterday.
He said the victims who died -- six men, six women and the child -- include Bogdanovic`s mother and his 42-year-old son.
"Twelve people were killed on the spot while the 13th died in hospital," said Veljovic.
According to the victims` neighbours the murdered child was a boy. Most of the victims were Bogdanovic`s relatives.
The motive for the attack in the village of Velika Ivanca, located about 50 kilometres south of Belgrade, was not immediately clear.
Speaking to the police from her hospital bed, the gunman`s wife said her husband had a "bad temper" but could not hint at a possible motive for the murders, Vecernje Novosti daily reported in its online edition.
"I could not dream that he would do this. There have been no hints," the daily quoted Javorka Bogdanovic as saying.
"He had a bad temper, but I did not dream of this. We were all like a big family," she said.
Doctors from Belgrade`s Emergency Hospital said her condition was "serious but stable," while her husband was "still in coma," the newspaper reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed