Serbia mourns 13 killed in `monstrous` gun rampage
Velika Ivanca (Serbia): Serbia holds a national day of mourning on Wednesday after a war veteran went on a killing spree, shooting dead 13 relatives and neighbours including his son, his mother and a two-year-old child, in his tiny village near Belgrade.
It was the worst such incident in two decades in the Balkan country, shocked by what police called a "monstrous" crime.
Police identified the gunman as 60-year-old Ljubisa Bogdanovic, who shot most of his victims in the head as they slept before trying to kill himself and his wife.
Both were seriously wounded along with a third person, who later died in a hospital, Serbian police chief Milorad Veljovic told reporters at the scene yesterday.
He said the victims who died -- six men, six women and the child -- include Bogdanovic`s mother and his 42-year-old son.
"Twelve people were killed on the spot while the 13th died in hospital," said Veljovic.
According to the victims` neighbours the murdered child was a boy. Most of the victims were Bogdanovic`s relatives.
The motive for the attack in the village of Velika Ivanca, located about 50 kilometres south of Belgrade, was not immediately clear.
Speaking to the police from her hospital bed, the gunman`s wife said her husband had a "bad temper" but could not hint at a possible motive for the murders, Vecernje Novosti daily reported in its online edition.
"I could not dream that he would do this. There have been no hints," the daily quoted Javorka Bogdanovic as saying.
"He had a bad temper, but I did not dream of this. We were all like a big family," she said.
Doctors from Belgrade`s Emergency Hospital said her condition was "serious but stable," while her husband was "still in coma," the newspaper reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla