Serbia mourns 13 killed in `monstrous` gun rampage
Velika Ivanca (Serbia): Serbia holds a national day of mourning on Wednesday after a war veteran went on a killing spree, shooting dead 13 relatives and neighbours including his son, his mother and a two-year-old child, in his tiny village near Belgrade.
It was the worst such incident in two decades in the Balkan country, shocked by what police called a "monstrous" crime.
Police identified the gunman as 60-year-old Ljubisa Bogdanovic, who shot most of his victims in the head as they slept before trying to kill himself and his wife.
Both were seriously wounded along with a third person, who later died in a hospital, Serbian police chief Milorad Veljovic told reporters at the scene yesterday.
He said the victims who died -- six men, six women and the child -- include Bogdanovic`s mother and his 42-year-old son.
"Twelve people were killed on the spot while the 13th died in hospital," said Veljovic.
According to the victims` neighbours the murdered child was a boy. Most of the victims were Bogdanovic`s relatives.
The motive for the attack in the village of Velika Ivanca, located about 50 kilometres south of Belgrade, was not immediately clear.
Speaking to the police from her hospital bed, the gunman`s wife said her husband had a "bad temper" but could not hint at a possible motive for the murders, Vecernje Novosti daily reported in its online edition.
"I could not dream that he would do this. There have been no hints," the daily quoted Javorka Bogdanovic as saying.
"He had a bad temper, but I did not dream of this. We were all like a big family," she said.
Doctors from Belgrade`s Emergency Hospital said her condition was "serious but stable," while her husband was "still in coma," the newspaper reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!
- Sensex opens in green on renewed buying; up 58 points
- 10 killed as bus falls into canal in Telangana's Khammam