Serbia proposes new talks on outstanding issues in Kosovo
Belgrade: Serbia submitted a resolution to the United Nations on Wednesday which, in an apparent concession to international pressure, called for new negotiations on Kosovo but did not insist on status talks.
Belgrade wants the UN General Assembly to call on both sides "to find mutually acceptable solutions for all outstanding issues through peaceful dialogue in the interest of peace, security and cooperation in the region”.
The draft resolution, a copy of which was obtained by a news agency, makes no mention of reopening talks on the status of Kosovo, which Belgrade had previously insisted on.
Serbia had insisted that it would not hold talks on any outstanding practical issues, as the EU and the US have called for, if the question of status was not dealt with.
Pristina, however, quickly condemned the Serbian proposal as a confrontational move that "does not contribute to dialogue".
"This is a political game pursued for the (Serbian) public in order to show that the battle (for Kosovo) is continuing," Kosovo`s deputy Prime Minister Hajredin Kuci`s said by phone.
"It also aims at misleading the international community."
According to some observers, Pristina believes that by insisting on talks on "all outstanding issues" instead of just technical issues as Kosovo would like, Belgrade is trying to sneak in status talks through the backdoor.
Kosovo unilaterally declared independence from Serbia in February 2008, a move that Belgrade refuses to recognise as it still considers the territory its southern province.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate