Serbian President`s convoy stoned in Kosovo
Decani: Kosovo Albanian protesters hurled stones at an armoured motorcade carrying Serbian President Boris Tadic on Friday as he marked Orthodox Christmas in the former Serbian province, where Serb-Albanian tensions have resurfaced.
Kosovo`s population is 90 percent ethnic Albanian, and it became the last state to emerge from the remains of federal Yugoslavia when it declared independence from Serbia in 2008.
Serbia rejects the secession, and tensions have been rising since July last year when Kosovo`s government tried to stamp its authority on a largely lawless slice of north Kosovo inhabited by minority Serbs.
A crowd of some 200 Kosovo Albanians in the western town of Decani lobbed stones at Tadic`s convoy, which was escorted by officers of the European Union`s police and justice mission in Kosovo.
Kosovo police secured the route, jostling with protesters to keep them back from the road. The convoy managed to enter the grounds of the Decani Orthodox monastery, where Tadic will mark Serbian Orthodox Christmas.
"A number of stones were thrown, a number of cars received minor damage. President Boris Tadic`s car was not hit," said Nicholas Hawton, spokesman for the EU mission, EULEX.
Tadic traditionally visits the 14th century marble monastery in Decani to mark Serbian Orthodox Christmas on January 07.
Steeped in Serb history and myth, Kosovo is dotted with centuries-old Orthodox religious sites and considered by many Serbs as the cradle of their nation.
But Serbia lost control over the territory in 1999 when NATO bombed it for 11 weeks to halt the killing and expulsion of Albanian civilians by Serb forces fighting a two-year counter-insurgency war under then strongman Slobodan Milosevic.
Previous visits by Tadic have generally passed without incident.
But a row between Serbia and Kosovo over trade and control of a disputed stretch of the border between them has triggered violence in north Kosovo between minority Serbs and NATO peacekeepers over the past six months.
The spike in tensions last month cost Serbia official candidate status for membership of the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday