Serial blasts kill 1, injures 14 in Nigeria
Abuja: Series of bomb blasts have rocked
flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos killing one and injuring 14 as
people gathered to watch a televised football match between
Real Madrid and Barcelona on Sunday.
Police in the volatile central Plateau state said they
suspect the radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram, for being
responsible for the bombings that went off at three places in
the city. The force said the method used in the bombing
conforms to the way Boko Haram which has attacked several
cities in the north engage in their violence activities.
"The explosions occurred at about 22.30hrs at ODUS
football viewing centre and City of David football viewing
Centre almost at the same time, both at Angwa," police
spokesman Jacob Apev said.
The other, the police officer said occurred at Tina
junction, adding that in all, one person died and 14 others
According to Apev, the explosions were caused by timed
Improvise Explosive Devices (IED) adding that if the people at
the viewing centres were vigilant they would have seen when
they were planted.
He also said Churches and other worship centres have been
place under surveillance, and are being provided with metal
detectors to screen the people that go into them.
Those wounded were taken to a local hospital and sources
say nine have been discharged.
A source said that of the injured are in critical
conditions and are receiving treatment at the intensive care
unit of the Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH).
The sect members usually carry out their attacks during
festive seasons like Christmas and last year they killed 32
people and wounded 74 others on the Christmas eve.
The state has started receiving letters of threat warning
that this year`s Christmas period may be bloody.
Boko Haram which wants the establishment of Islamic
sharia rule in Nigeria had claimed the attacks at the United
Nations building in Abuja earlier this year carried out by a
suicide bomber driving an SUV.
Its leader Yusuf was killed in 2006 by the Nigerian
police after a confrontation with the members of the radical
group that led to the killing of at least 800 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?