Serial car bombings in Iraq: 3 killed, 53 wounded
Beijing: At least three people were killed and 53 wounded when two suicide car bombers and a car bomb struck Kurdish security forces in Iraq`s northern city of Kirkuk on Wednesday, medical and police sources told Xinhua.
The attacks occurred in the morning when a suicide bomber blew up his explosive-laden car into the entrance of the office of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, a Kurdish party headed by Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, in central the city of Kirkuk, some 250 km north of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Police report said that most of the wounded were Kurdish security guards, named Peshmerga, adding that the blast destroyed part of the office building, and a civil defense team are working at the site to look for more victims.
Meanwhile, a car bomb detonated near a Kurdish security patrol in the southwestern part of Kirkuk, leaving at least one security member killed and six others wounded.
Also in the morning, another suicide car bomber struck a checkpoint at the entrance of a Kurdish security base near the town of Daquq, some 50 km south of Kirkuk, killing a Peshmerga member and wounding four others and a civilian, the source said.
The ethnically mix province of Kirkuk and its capital Kirkuk City, some 250 km north of Baghdad, are part of the disputed areas between the Kurds and both Arabs and Turkomans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report