Serial killer on loose in France?
Paris: French authorities said on Friday they feared a serial killer was on the loose after a gunman shot dead a woman in a Paris suburb, using a weapon employed in three other killings in the same area within the last five months.
"This series of killings deserves our maximum attention and we are putting all our resources into this affair," Interior Minister Claude Gueant told Europe 1 radio.
In each of the four shootings, the first of which was in November, a lone gunman used the same 7.65 mm calibre semi-automatic pistol, prosecutors said. The latest shooting took place on Thursday when a gunman on a motorbike struck.
"It was a pistol, a semi-automatic pistol," said Marie-Suzanne Le Queau, public prosecutor in Evry, a commune in the southern suburbs of Paris. "This element alone is not enough to affirm at this stage that it is all part of the same affair."
There were obvious similarities in the way the latest three killings were carried out in February, March and April, but no clear link to the first killing in November, she added.
Around 100 investigators were working on the case and police were examining several leads, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why