Series of earthquakes rattle California
San Diego (US): Dozens of small to moderate earthquakes rattled Southern California, shaking an area from rural Imperial County to the San Diego coast and north into the Coachella Valley.
The largest quake, magnitude 5.3, struck at 12:31 pm (local time) on Sunday about five kilometres north-northwest of the small Imperial County farming town of Brawley, according to Paul Caruso, a geophysicist with the US Geological Survey. It was followed minutes later by a 4.9 magnitude quake.
The first quake was a magnitude 3.9 that hit at 10:02 am (local time) It was followed by a 3.4 quake about 90 seconds later in the same area near the southern end of the Salton Sea. Magnitude 2.2 and 2.0 quakes followed within six minutes of the first shock.
The USGS says at least 25 aftershocks of struck the same approximate epicenter about 26 kilometres north of El Centro.
Some shaking was felt on the coast in Del Mar, some 193 kilometres from the epicentre, as well as in southern Orange County and parts of northern Mexico.
An Imperial County sheriff`s dispatcher said there were no reports of damage or injuries.
Scientists aren`t yet sure what fault the quake cluster was on but it was near the 1,300-kilometre San Andreas Fault, Caruso said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days