`Sesame Street` music used to torture Gitmo detainees?
Washington: The Pentagon has denied reports of abusing prisoners by playing loud music at Guantanamo Bay.
A documentary had revealed that US forces blared music of children`s show "Sesame Street" to torture inmates a decade ago.
Pentagon spokesman Captain John Kirby said he did not know the play list at the prison camp, but said that previous investigations covering the time period had approved using the music.
"Universally, these investigations have shown, and leadership has revealed, that music can be used as both an incentive and a disincentive. It depends on how you use it," Express Tribune quoted Kirby as saying.
Kirby said he did not know whether music was still played at the prison camp. But he said US forces "rigorously" followed a policy against mistreatment of prisoners.
The United States had previously admitted of playing the music to influence prisoners behaviour at Guantanamo Bay, which was set up under president George W Bush for detainees arrested in war of terror, against al Qaeda.
A documentary on Al-Jazeera gave further details revealing that prisoners in 2003 were strapped to chairs and played loud music through their headphones for hours or even days and that "Sesame Street" was among the selections.
President Barack Obama on taking office in 2009 vowed to close the prison within a year, saying the indefinite detentions offended US values.
However, Obama failed to close the prison, as lawmakers blocked the transfer of detainees to US and other countries balked at accepting former inmates even if cleared of wrongdoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi