Setback for Assad as Army chief defects
Damascus: Lieutenant-General Abdulaziz al-Shalal, on Wednesday abandoned President Bashar-al Assad`s government. He announced his decision via a YouTube video and it comes as a setback to the Assad regime.
The video shows a relenting general who feels that the army has completely failed in its purpose and have become enemy of innocent people.
The decision is directly influenced by recent deadly attacks by the government which claimed a lot of innocent lives.
It is believed that he has fled to Turkey for the time being.
The Syrian government who has completely failed in handling the internal uprising is now facing flak from its very own generals. Reports are that a lot of other officers share the same sentiments but are unable to leave the army currently.
According to BBC reports Shalal had been secretly aiding the rebels from a long time now.
- Akshay Kumar escapes scorching Mumbai heat with his ‘partner in crime’ – Here’s how
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan