Setback for Assad as Army chief defects
Damascus: Lieutenant-General Abdulaziz al-Shalal, on Wednesday abandoned President Bashar-al Assad`s government. He announced his decision via a YouTube video and it comes as a setback to the Assad regime.
The video shows a relenting general who feels that the army has completely failed in its purpose and have become enemy of innocent people.
The decision is directly influenced by recent deadly attacks by the government which claimed a lot of innocent lives.
It is believed that he has fled to Turkey for the time being.
The Syrian government who has completely failed in handling the internal uprising is now facing flak from its very own generals. Reports are that a lot of other officers share the same sentiments but are unable to leave the army currently.
According to BBC reports Shalal had been secretly aiding the rebels from a long time now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation