Setback for Assad as Army chief defects
Damascus: Lieutenant-General Abdulaziz al-Shalal, on Wednesday abandoned President Bashar-al Assad`s government. He announced his decision via a YouTube video and it comes as a setback to the Assad regime.
The video shows a relenting general who feels that the army has completely failed in its purpose and have become enemy of innocent people.
The decision is directly influenced by recent deadly attacks by the government which claimed a lot of innocent lives.
It is believed that he has fled to Turkey for the time being.
The Syrian government who has completely failed in handling the internal uprising is now facing flak from its very own generals. Reports are that a lot of other officers share the same sentiments but are unable to leave the army currently.
According to BBC reports Shalal had been secretly aiding the rebels from a long time now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged