Seven children among eight dead in apartment fire in Germany
Berlin: An early-morning fire today at an apartment building in southwestern Germany left eight people dead, seven of them children, police said.
Three other people were injured in the fire in Backnang, a town near Stuttgart, and taken to hospitals. Police said the victims were of Turkish origin, news agency DPA reported; Turkey`s ambassador to Germany planned to travel to the scene. Authorities were alerted to the blaze at 4:30 am (0330 GMT).
Police said they believe the fire broke out in a second-floor apartment, and said in a statement that their investigation is focusing on a heater in the apartment.
The building is part of a former leather factory that was converted into a row of three-story apartment blocks.
Police said a German-Turkish cultural association has an office on the building`s ground floor. They said there was no indication that the fire might have been set deliberately or have been a racist attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack