Seven children among eight dead in apartment fire in Germany
Berlin: An early-morning fire today at an apartment building in southwestern Germany left eight people dead, seven of them children, police said.
Three other people were injured in the fire in Backnang, a town near Stuttgart, and taken to hospitals. Police said the victims were of Turkish origin, news agency DPA reported; Turkey`s ambassador to Germany planned to travel to the scene. Authorities were alerted to the blaze at 4:30 am (0330 GMT).
Police said they believe the fire broke out in a second-floor apartment, and said in a statement that their investigation is focusing on a heater in the apartment.
The building is part of a former leather factory that was converted into a row of three-story apartment blocks.
Police said a German-Turkish cultural association has an office on the building`s ground floor. They said there was no indication that the fire might have been set deliberately or have been a racist attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!