Seven children among eight dead in apartment fire in Germany
Berlin: An early-morning fire today at an apartment building in southwestern Germany left eight people dead, seven of them children, police said.
Three other people were injured in the fire in Backnang, a town near Stuttgart, and taken to hospitals. Police said the victims were of Turkish origin, news agency DPA reported; Turkey`s ambassador to Germany planned to travel to the scene. Authorities were alerted to the blaze at 4:30 am (0330 GMT).
Police said they believe the fire broke out in a second-floor apartment, and said in a statement that their investigation is focusing on a heater in the apartment.
The building is part of a former leather factory that was converted into a row of three-story apartment blocks.
Police said a German-Turkish cultural association has an office on the building`s ground floor. They said there was no indication that the fire might have been set deliberately or have been a racist attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?