Seven children among eight dead in apartment fire in Germany
Berlin: An early-morning fire today at an apartment building in southwestern Germany left eight people dead, seven of them children, police said.
Three other people were injured in the fire in Backnang, a town near Stuttgart, and taken to hospitals. Police said the victims were of Turkish origin, news agency DPA reported; Turkey`s ambassador to Germany planned to travel to the scene. Authorities were alerted to the blaze at 4:30 am (0330 GMT).
Police said they believe the fire broke out in a second-floor apartment, and said in a statement that their investigation is focusing on a heater in the apartment.
The building is part of a former leather factory that was converted into a row of three-story apartment blocks.
Police said a German-Turkish cultural association has an office on the building`s ground floor. They said there was no indication that the fire might have been set deliberately or have been a racist attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends