Seven Chinese intellectuals hail Nobel peace laureate Liu
Beijing: Seven Chinese intellectuals have
signed an open letter congratulating Liu Xiaobo on winning the
Nobel Peace Prize, calling him a standard-bearer for
non-violence in China, one of them told a news agency on Saturday.
The awarding of the prize to the jailed dissident --
the co-author of a bold manifesto calling for political reform
in communist-ruled China -- offers "hope and support for a
peaceful transformation in China," the letter says.
Noting that Liu was honoured by the Norwegian Nobel
committee yesterday for his "long and non-violent struggle for
fundamental human rights in China," the intellectuals said
that China "must avoid a violent revolution".
Among the signatories of the letter -- published on
www.peacehall.com, an overseas-based website -- are
environmental activist Dai Qing and liberal economist Mao
"There are only seven signatories for the time being
but I think others will join this appeal little by little,"
Liu was jailed for 11 years on subversion charges in
December 2009 after the release of Charter 08, which has been
widely circulated on the Internet and signed by more than
10,000 people since it was put online.
It calls for the protection of basic human rights and
the reform of China`s one-party system.
"On the question of political reform, the leaders must
agree among themselves and take concrete steps to show they
are sincere in their pledges to bring about peaceful change,"
the letter says.
"Liu Xiaobo is the standard-bearer for non-violence in
China. He will make a positive contribution to the peaceful
transformation of the country," it adds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city