Seven dead after gang attack near Kenya casino, police
Nairobi: A bare-chested gang of youths armed with machetes and other crude weapons attacked a policeman near a casino and later attacked a police station on Kenya`s coast early on Thursday, officials said. Six gang members and one policeman died during the violence.
The gang gathered near the casino in the coastal town of Malindi at about 2 am local time. The casino locked all its doors but the gang killed a police officer on duty there. The gang later battled with police near the police station.
Coastal police boss Aggrey Adoli said one policeman and six gang members died. Adoli said officials suspect the gang was part of a separatist group called the Mombasa Republican Council.
Justin Kaingu, a night security guard who said he witnessed the violence, said he saw a group of bare-chested youths armed with machetes and other crude weapons advancing toward the casino.
"The group stood at the roadside for a few minutes ... I heard gunshots shortly after seeing them," he said.
Four suspects were arrested after they returned to the scene to collect the bodies of their colleagues.
Attacks carried out on the day of Kenya`s presidential election in the coastal towns of Mombasa and Kilifi killed 19 people. Police also blamed that violence on the separatist group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Motihari gang-rape: Doctors in Bihar continue to use two-finger test, says NCW report
- New method that can kill cancer cells in 2 hours developed!
- UEFA Euro 2016, quarterfinal: Poland vs Portugal - Preview
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet all set to clear final recommendations on salary hike today
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' sans songs? Details inside