Seven killed in Iraq attacks
Baghdad: A spate of gun and bomb attacks
across northern and central Iraq today killed seven people and
left four others wounded, security officials said.
In the disputed northern city of Kirkuk, a Shiite Turkman
chemicals specialist for the state-owned North Oil Company was
killed by a magnetic "sticky bomb" attached to his car.
Hussein Mohsen Maqsud, a member of Prime Minister Nuri
al-Maliki`s Dawa Party, had just left his home when the
explosion occurred, a police officer and a party official
Also in Kirkuk, a civilian was killed in a gun attack in
the north of the city, 240 kilometres north of Baghdad, the
police officer said.
In the Iraqi capital, an anti-Qaeda militiaman was killed
and a policeman was wounded by a gun attack on a checkpoint in
Saidiyah, south Baghdad, an interior ministry official said.
The militiaman was a member of the Sahwa, or Awakening
Council, which is comprised of Sunni Arab tribesmen who sided
with the US military against al Qaeda from late 2006, helping
turn the tide of Iraq`s bloody insurgency.
In Babil province, south of Baghdad, a civilian was
killed by gunmen in a village northeast of provincial capital
Hilla, a police major said. In a separate incident in Babil,
three people were wounded by two katyusha rockets that had
been intended for a nearby US military base, according to the
Two men were also killed in Diyala province, north of the
capital, in separate attacks, an official in the provincial
security command centre said.
Taha Yasin was killed by gunmen in Abu Garma village,
east of Diyala capital Baquba, while Internet cafe owner
Hussein Tamimi was killed by shooters using silenced weapons
in Baladruz, southeast of Baquba, according to the official.
And in Mosul, police said a taxi driver was killed by
gunmen in the west of the main northern city.
Today`s attacks come with less than a month to go before
US troops are to have completed their withdrawal from Iraq.
Around 7,000 US military personnel now remain in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read