Seven killed in Iraq attacks
Baghdad: A spate of gun and bomb attacks
across northern and central Iraq today killed seven people and
left four others wounded, security officials said.
In the disputed northern city of Kirkuk, a Shiite Turkman
chemicals specialist for the state-owned North Oil Company was
killed by a magnetic "sticky bomb" attached to his car.
Hussein Mohsen Maqsud, a member of Prime Minister Nuri
al-Maliki`s Dawa Party, had just left his home when the
explosion occurred, a police officer and a party official
Also in Kirkuk, a civilian was killed in a gun attack in
the north of the city, 240 kilometres north of Baghdad, the
police officer said.
In the Iraqi capital, an anti-Qaeda militiaman was killed
and a policeman was wounded by a gun attack on a checkpoint in
Saidiyah, south Baghdad, an interior ministry official said.
The militiaman was a member of the Sahwa, or Awakening
Council, which is comprised of Sunni Arab tribesmen who sided
with the US military against al Qaeda from late 2006, helping
turn the tide of Iraq`s bloody insurgency.
In Babil province, south of Baghdad, a civilian was
killed by gunmen in a village northeast of provincial capital
Hilla, a police major said. In a separate incident in Babil,
three people were wounded by two katyusha rockets that had
been intended for a nearby US military base, according to the
Two men were also killed in Diyala province, north of the
capital, in separate attacks, an official in the provincial
security command centre said.
Taha Yasin was killed by gunmen in Abu Garma village,
east of Diyala capital Baquba, while Internet cafe owner
Hussein Tamimi was killed by shooters using silenced weapons
in Baladruz, southeast of Baquba, according to the official.
And in Mosul, police said a taxi driver was killed by
gunmen in the west of the main northern city.
Today`s attacks come with less than a month to go before
US troops are to have completed their withdrawal from Iraq.
Around 7,000 US military personnel now remain in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill