Seven killed in Iraq attacks
Baghdad: At least seven people were killed in gunfire and bomb attacks in northern and central Iraq, the police said Sunday.
In Iraq`s Nineveh province, gunmen attacked a police checkpoint in Bab-Sinjar district in Mosul city, some 400 km north of Baghdad, killing three policemen, Xinhua quoted a police source as saying.
In a separate incident, a gunman threw a hand grenade on a police checkpoint in al-Kornesh area in central Mosul, killing two passers-by, the source said. The policemen deputed at the checkpoint opened fire on the attacker and shot him dead.
In central Iraq, a car bomb went off in Baghdad`s Qahirah district near the convoy of Brigadier General Mohammed Ghazi, head of the personal protection directorate in the interior ministry, killing a passer-by and injuring the officer and two of his bodyguards, an interior ministry source said.
Three civilians were also wounded by the attack, the source said.
In addition, Sheikh Abdulla al-Nadawi, a tribal leader, was wounded when a bomb attached to his car detonated while he was driving in al-Kasrah district in Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data