Seven killed in northeast Nigeria sect shooting
Maiduguri (Nigeria): A radical Muslim sect has
killed seven people in three separate attacks, authorities
said today, following through on threats to continue attacks
in a nation overcome by unrest and divided by religion.
Two soldiers who were distributing food to soldiers on
duty were shot dead today, said Maiduguri police chief Simeone
Two other people were killed yesterday when gunmen invaded
their homes, said military field operation officer Col. Victor
Ebhaleme. In Damaturu in nearby Yobe state, gunmen from the
sect shot and killed three more people from Chad yesterday,
said Yobe state police chief Tanko Lawan.
Authorities blame members of a radical Muslim sect locally
known as Boko Haram for all of the attacks which occurred in
areas that have seen a heightened security presence.
On Dec. 31, President Goodluck Jonathan declared Borno,
Niger, Plateau and Yobe states to be under a state of
emergency, meaning authorities can make arrests without proof
and conduct searches without warrants. He also ordered
international borders near Borno and Yobe state to be closed.
In a video released last week, a leader for Boko Haram
said the government run by Jonathan, a Christian from southern
Nigeria, could not handle attacks by the group.
"All these things you`ve been seeing happening, it`s Allah
who has been doing it because you refuse to believe in him and
you misuse his religion and because of that, the thing is more
than you, Jonathan," Imam Abubakar Shekau said in the video.
Boko Haram has been blamed for at least 74 deaths in
Nigeria since the start of this year alone and at least 510 deaths last year. (AP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened