Seven killed in shootout with marines in Mexico
Mexico City: Mexican authorities say seven people, including two women, have been killed in a shootout with marines in the northern state of Zacatecas, a Zetas cartel stronghold.
A spokesman for the state`s prosecutors says the marines arrived at a safe house just outside the city of Zacatecas early Friday when they were attacked by an armed group.
Jorge Flores says the shooting lasted two hours.
The seven alleged criminals killed have not been identified.
The Mexican Navy said it has no information on the shootout.
The state of Zacatecas appears to have been a hot spot in the falling out between the leaders of the brutal Zetas gang.
One of them, Heriberto Lazcano, was killed two weeks ago by marines in the neighboring state of Coahuila. Miguel Angel Trevino remains a fugitive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident