Seven killed in shootout with marines in Mexico
Mexico City: Mexican authorities say seven people, including two women, have been killed in a shootout with marines in the northern state of Zacatecas, a Zetas cartel stronghold.
A spokesman for the state`s prosecutors says the marines arrived at a safe house just outside the city of Zacatecas early Friday when they were attacked by an armed group.
Jorge Flores says the shooting lasted two hours.
The seven alleged criminals killed have not been identified.
The Mexican Navy said it has no information on the shootout.
The state of Zacatecas appears to have been a hot spot in the falling out between the leaders of the brutal Zetas gang.
One of them, Heriberto Lazcano, was killed two weeks ago by marines in the neighboring state of Coahuila. Miguel Angel Trevino remains a fugitive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers