Seven killed in shootout with marines in Mexico
Mexico City: Mexican authorities say seven people, including two women, have been killed in a shootout with marines in the northern state of Zacatecas, a Zetas cartel stronghold.
A spokesman for the state`s prosecutors says the marines arrived at a safe house just outside the city of Zacatecas early Friday when they were attacked by an armed group.
Jorge Flores says the shooting lasted two hours.
The seven alleged criminals killed have not been identified.
The Mexican Navy said it has no information on the shootout.
The state of Zacatecas appears to have been a hot spot in the falling out between the leaders of the brutal Zetas gang.
One of them, Heriberto Lazcano, was killed two weeks ago by marines in the neighboring state of Coahuila. Miguel Angel Trevino remains a fugitive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef