Seven protesters arrested near Spain`s Parliament
Madrid: At least seven protesters have been arrested on Sunday near Spain`s parliament and 23 were injured during a demonstration against draft legislation that aims to set heavy fines for offences such as burning the national flag.
Around 4,000 demonstrators were stopped from surrounding Parliament by a strong police presence.
A regional government said the arrests were made after protesters damaged a police car.
The protest was organised to oppose the introduction of a bill that will set fines of up to USD 40,800 for offences such as burning the flag and insulting the state.
The measures, which were approved by the Cabinet but must be voted in by lawmakers, update a 1992 law and will also include fines of 1,000 euros for insulting or threatening police during demonstrations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India