Seven protesters arrested near Spain`s Parliament
Madrid: At least seven protesters have been arrested on Sunday near Spain`s parliament and 23 were injured during a demonstration against draft legislation that aims to set heavy fines for offences such as burning the national flag.
Around 4,000 demonstrators were stopped from surrounding Parliament by a strong police presence.
A regional government said the arrests were made after protesters damaged a police car.
The protest was organised to oppose the introduction of a bill that will set fines of up to USD 40,800 for offences such as burning the flag and insulting the state.
The measures, which were approved by the Cabinet but must be voted in by lawmakers, update a 1992 law and will also include fines of 1,000 euros for insulting or threatening police during demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?