Seven protesters arrested near Spain`s Parliament
Madrid: At least seven protesters have been arrested on Sunday near Spain`s parliament and 23 were injured during a demonstration against draft legislation that aims to set heavy fines for offences such as burning the national flag.
Around 4,000 demonstrators were stopped from surrounding Parliament by a strong police presence.
A regional government said the arrests were made after protesters damaged a police car.
The protest was organised to oppose the introduction of a bill that will set fines of up to USD 40,800 for offences such as burning the flag and insulting the state.
The measures, which were approved by the Cabinet but must be voted in by lawmakers, update a 1992 law and will also include fines of 1,000 euros for insulting or threatening police during demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?