Seven protesters arrested near Spain`s Parliament
Madrid: At least seven protesters have been arrested on Sunday near Spain`s parliament and 23 were injured during a demonstration against draft legislation that aims to set heavy fines for offences such as burning the national flag.
Around 4,000 demonstrators were stopped from surrounding Parliament by a strong police presence.
A regional government said the arrests were made after protesters damaged a police car.
The protest was organised to oppose the introduction of a bill that will set fines of up to USD 40,800 for offences such as burning the flag and insulting the state.
The measures, which were approved by the Cabinet but must be voted in by lawmakers, update a 1992 law and will also include fines of 1,000 euros for insulting or threatening police during demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list