Seven suspected militants nabbed near Algeria in Tunisia
Tunis (Tunisia): Tunisian security forces say they arrested seven people near the border with Algeria over links to militants.
The official TAP news agency quoted the Interior Ministry spokesman today saying the suspects belonged to a network that was "specialised in recruiting and assigning religious fanatics to bases of al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb," whose leadership is based in Algeria.
Ministry spokesman Khaled Tarrouche said two of the seven were arrested Thursday in a rented car containing four suitcases filled with electrical wires, explosives, weapons, munitions, combat clothes and maps. TAP cited Tarrouche as saying two other passengers in the car who`d fled were later arrested. Three more suspects were also arrested.
President Moncef Marzouki recently warned that "danger is at our doorstep" with Islamist militants procuring trafficked Libyan arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror