Several thousand migrants stranded in Misrata: ICRC
Geneva: The international Red Cross
expressed concern on Monday about several thousand foreign
migrants stranded in the open in the besieged Libyan port of
The group was found living under tarpaulins and
shelters by an International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
team that entered the city by sea for a day to evaluate
medical conditions and aid needs, spokeswoman Nicole
"Our main concern right now is the stranded foreign
nationals living in the vicinity of the port," she told AFP.
The Libyan Red Crescent "are estimating that we are
talking 6,000 to 7,000 people, from Egypt, Sudan, Chad and
other countries," Engelbrecht added.
The ICRC was unable to verify the exact tally for now.
The five ICRC staff, who arrived on Saturday with a
cargo of emergency medical supplies, visited the main hospital
and a Libyan Red Crescent hospital there before sailing back
to Benghazi on Sunday.
Engelbrecht declined to give any casualty figures
after more than three weeks of fighting for control of
rebel-held Misrata because they had not been verified.
An opposition spokesman said eight rebels were killed
by pro-Kadhafi forces and 22 were wounded on Saturday.
A doctor at Misrata hospital gave AFP the same death
toll for Saturday, saying they included civilians, while
putting the number of wounded at 25.
Engelbrecht said the ICRC team wanted to return to
"We want to have the support of both sides, and this
was organised as a one-day visit," she said.
The ICRC has been providing aid in mainly
opposition-held northeastern Libya for several weeks.
The visit to Misrata was part of an operation on
Saturday to expand relief aid into northwestern Libya after an
ICRC team in Tripoli held talks with Libyan authorities.
The Red Cross ship was carrying enough supplies to
treat 300 war wounded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested