Severe thunderstorms hit Queensland, Australia
Brisbane: Thousands of homes remain without power and a man has been critically injured after severe thunderstorms battered Australia`s southeast Queensland on Sunday night, local media reported Monday.
The storm, with winds up to 90 km an hour, brought down trees and cut power supply to more than 50,000 homes and businesses in the region, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), quoted in a report by Xinhua.
Emergency crews from Queensland-based energy company Energex are working to restore power to the remaining 11,000 properties in the affected areas.
"The network received significant damage in the areas still affected and will take some time to make repairs," Energex said in a statement posted Monday on its website.
"More than 300 fallen powerlines were reported to Energex overnight and nearly 60 this morning."
By 8:30 a.m. local time on Monday, power to 47,000 homes and businesses across southeast Queensland was restored, the company said.
Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ) said a man in his 40s was running at St. Lucia in Brisbane`s inner west when he was hit by a falling tree.
The man was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital with head injuries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!