‘Severe’ Typhoon Vicente hits Hong Kong
Hong Kong: A severe typhoon struck Hong Kong late on Monday that left at least 129 people injured.
The strong gale-force winds and rain of the typhoon affected the area severely and over 268 people were displaced and housed in temporary shelters constructed by the government. There were also reports of over 100 trees felling in the wake of strong winds.
When the typhoon struck the area on Monday night, the storm warning was raised to the top level of 10, highest in 13 years, but was later downgraded to number 3, allowing public transportation services to resume on Tuesday. A No. 3 signal indicates persistent strong winds blowing at 41-62 kilometers per hour, with gusts that may exceed 110 kilometers per hour.
Due to the typhoon, schools were closed, flight services were affected and the opening of the the Hang Seng Stock Exchange was delayed on Tuesday.
Even though the typhoon was forecast to move away from Hong Kong across western Guangdong, the Hong Kong Observatory warned that gale force winds were still prevailing on Tuesday morning.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter