`Sex in marriage only acceptable way to conceive`
London: Pope Benedict XVI has called on married couples to shun artificial methods of conception, as sex between a husband and wife is the only acceptable way to conceive.
He said that methods like in vitro fertilization (IVF) for getting pregnant were simply ‘arrogance’ as he spoke at the end of a three-day Vatican conference on infertility in Rome.
The Pope reiterated the Church’s stance against artificial procreation, and told scientists and fertility experts that matrimony was the ‘only place worthy of the call to existence of a new human being’.
“The human and Christian dignity of procreation, in fact, doesn’t consist in a ‘product’, but in its link to the conjugal act, an expression of the love of the spouses of their union, not only biological but also spiritual,” the Daily Mail quoted Benedict as saying.
He told the specialists in his audience to resist “the fascination of the technology of artificial fertility”, warning against “easy income, or even worse, the arrogance of taking the place of the Creator”.
He suggested that this was the attitude that underlies the field of artificial procreation.
Sperm or egg donation and methods such like IVF are banned for members of the Catholic Church.
The emphasis on science and “the logic of profit seem today to dominate the field of infertility and human procreation”, the Pope said.
But he added that the Church encourages medical research into infertility.
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017