`Sex in marriage only acceptable way to conceive`
London: Pope Benedict XVI has called on married couples to shun artificial methods of conception, as sex between a husband and wife is the only acceptable way to conceive.
He said that methods like in vitro fertilization (IVF) for getting pregnant were simply ‘arrogance’ as he spoke at the end of a three-day Vatican conference on infertility in Rome.
The Pope reiterated the Church’s stance against artificial procreation, and told scientists and fertility experts that matrimony was the ‘only place worthy of the call to existence of a new human being’.
“The human and Christian dignity of procreation, in fact, doesn’t consist in a ‘product’, but in its link to the conjugal act, an expression of the love of the spouses of their union, not only biological but also spiritual,” the Daily Mail quoted Benedict as saying.
He told the specialists in his audience to resist “the fascination of the technology of artificial fertility”, warning against “easy income, or even worse, the arrogance of taking the place of the Creator”.
He suggested that this was the attitude that underlies the field of artificial procreation.
Sperm or egg donation and methods such like IVF are banned for members of the Catholic Church.
The emphasis on science and “the logic of profit seem today to dominate the field of infertility and human procreation”, the Pope said.
But he added that the Church encourages medical research into infertility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days