Sex scandal: US Air Force commander removed
Houston: The US Air Force removed a top training commander at a Texas base on Friday amid a widening sex scandal involving basic training instructors.
Colonel Glenn Palmer, a point man in the Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland`s efforts to identify and remove instructors who may have been involved in sexual relationships with recruits, has been relieved of the command of the 737th training group, which trains more than 35,000 airmen a year at Lackland, according to reports posted on the website of daily The Houston Chronicle.
Palmer was removed by commander of the 37th training wing at Lackland, Colonel Eric Axelbank, who reportedly lost confidence in Palmer, reported Xinhua citing the media report.
"The decision to remove Colonel Palmer is part of Colonel Axelbank`s deliberate effort to fit the right leadership with the 737th Training Group in order to move forward in light of the continuing investigation," wing spokeswoman Colleen McGee was quoted as saying.
Palmer did not create the environment that resulted in the misconduct, but Axelbank wanted a different leader to implement changes that would be needed in basic military training, she said.
Axelbank has been the wing`s commander for just over a year and will leave for a Pentagon job in September.
The scandal has grown since 2009 to involve 15 training instructors, with 38 trainees identified as victims of the scandal.
The US Air Force launched an investigation into instructor misconduct after former instructor Luis A Walker was accused 13 months ago of having illicit sexual contact with 10 female recruits. On July 21, Walker was sentenced to 20 years in prison for his role in the scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan