Sex scandal: US Air Force commander removed
Houston: The US Air Force removed a top training commander at a Texas base on Friday amid a widening sex scandal involving basic training instructors.
Colonel Glenn Palmer, a point man in the Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland`s efforts to identify and remove instructors who may have been involved in sexual relationships with recruits, has been relieved of the command of the 737th training group, which trains more than 35,000 airmen a year at Lackland, according to reports posted on the website of daily The Houston Chronicle.
Palmer was removed by commander of the 37th training wing at Lackland, Colonel Eric Axelbank, who reportedly lost confidence in Palmer, reported Xinhua citing the media report.
"The decision to remove Colonel Palmer is part of Colonel Axelbank`s deliberate effort to fit the right leadership with the 737th Training Group in order to move forward in light of the continuing investigation," wing spokeswoman Colleen McGee was quoted as saying.
Palmer did not create the environment that resulted in the misconduct, but Axelbank wanted a different leader to implement changes that would be needed in basic military training, she said.
Axelbank has been the wing`s commander for just over a year and will leave for a Pentagon job in September.
The scandal has grown since 2009 to involve 15 training instructors, with 38 trainees identified as victims of the scandal.
The US Air Force launched an investigation into instructor misconduct after former instructor Luis A Walker was accused 13 months ago of having illicit sexual contact with 10 female recruits. On July 21, Walker was sentenced to 20 years in prison for his role in the scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!