Sexual misconduct at US base stunning: Air Force chief
Washington: The US Air Force`s top commander has told lawmakers that the sexual misconduct scandal at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas was "stunning", and vowed to eliminate such "horrible crime" from the service.
The US Air Force chief of staff, General Mark Welsh, while testifying at the US House Armed Services Committee`s first hearing over the scandal, conceded that the magnitude of the sexual misconduct at the air base was "stunning to most of us in the Air Force", reported Xinhua.
"There`s no justifiable explanation, and there is no way we can allow this to happen again," said Welsh, who briefed the lawmakers about the Air Force`s recently-completed internal investigation.
The scandal involves 59 victims as well as 32 training instructors who have been disciplined or are now under investigation, out of a total of 855 personnel assigned as military training instructors during a three-year period at the base.
"The impact on every victim, their family, their friends and the other people in their unit is heart-wrenching, and attacking this cancer is a full-time job, and we are giving it our full attention," said Welsh.
The nine-month investigation into the sexual misconduct at the Texas base also led to a comprehensive program of the US Air Force aimed to eliminate sexual assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar