Sexual violence used as weapon in 31 armed conflicts in 2009
London: A report on conflicts, human rights and peace building, has revealed that sexual violence was used as a weapon in 31 armed conflicts that took place in 2009.
According to the Alerta 2010, violence against women was a constant in all armed conflicts, and most of them (armed conflicts) registered in 2009 were found in Asia (14) and Africa (10).
In cases such as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, sexual violence reached chronic levels, while personnel from the armed forces of Colombia, Myanmar and United States used sexual violence and other abusive practices against women.
The report also condemns the fact that most peace processes continue to ignore these issues, even though it is one of the main threats to the peace and security of these populations.
It added that despite many obstacles, women did play a key role in numerous civil peace initiatives in Congo, Colombia, Turkey, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, Vicenc Fisas, Director of the School for a Culture of Peace, said: “There is a need to expand how we deal with the impact of wars and resolution mechanisms, since the experiences and contributions to peace by women are key to achieving inclusive, long-lasting solutions to conflicts”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands