Seychelles coastguard vessel destroys two pirate boats
Nairobi: The Seychelles coastguard repelled
an attack by Somali pirates on Tuesday, destroying two of their
boats during a dramatic high-seas operation that started with
the brazen rescue of 27 fishermen.
The Topaz, one of the Indian Ocean state`s two coastguard
vessels, came under attack from three Somali pirate skiffs
overnight, the coastguard`s commanding officer said in a
"Topaz returned fire, one attack skiff was sunk and the
mother ship exploded and caught fire. The third skiff managed
to escape," the statement said.
"The fate of the pirates on all three vessels is
unknown," it added.
The Topaz yesterday launched a rare and brazen operation
to free six Seychellois fishermen who had been captured by
Somali pirates over the weekend southeast of the archipelago`s
main island of Mahe.
When the Topaz caught up with the pirates, it found the
ransom-hunting bandits heading back towards their base in
Somalia with 21 Iranian fishermen also held hostage.
Despite seeing the 27 hostages being held at gunpoint on
the deck of the hijacked Iranian dhow, the Seychelles
authorities took the decision to attack the pirates after
warning shots proved unsuccessful.
The Topaz unleashed a hail of bullets into the Iranian
boat`s engine compartment, setting it on fire and forcing all
on board to jump into the ocean.
Joel Morgan, the Seychelles` minister of transport and
environment also in charge of anti-piracy, said yesterday that
all hostages were rescued, with only one Iranian seaman
suffering a gunshot wound to the arm.
The wounded seaman was evacuated to Mahe and the Topaz,
slightly delayed by the overnight pirate attack, was expected
to arrive in the port of Victoria with the rest of the
hostages early tomorrow, Morgan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH