Shafiq`s campaign claims victory in Egypt`s presidency run-off
Cairo: A day after Mohammed Mursi claimed victory in Egypt`s presidency run-off vote, his opponent Ahmed Shafiq`s campaign on Tuesday made a dramatic counter-claim of winning the polls, accusing Muslim Brotherhood of circulating "false results".
Shafiq`s presidential campaign held a press conference on Tuesday at its headquarters in Cairo, where campaign officials challenged claims that Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mursi had won Egypt`s first post-Mubarak presidential election over the weekend.
"Neither we, nor our rival`s campaign, have the authority to announce final numbers, but our assumptions confirm that our candidate received 51 per cent of the votes," Shafiq campaign official Karim Salem was quoted as saying by Ahram online.
"Our candidate asks you all to celebrate, but to remain peaceful," Salem added.
Salem blamed widespread reports of Mursi`s victory on "fake results" propagated in the media.
Shafiq spokesman Ahmed Sarhan, for his part, reiterated claims that his rival`s campaign was circulating "false results."
The Mursi campaign, added Sarhan, had "announced results before half of the vote-counting was even finished."
Shafiq campaign officials also threatened to take legal action to prove their candidate`s electoral victory, saying that they "would have remained silent were it not for the Mursi campaign`s premature declarations of victory."
Though official results were to be announced, the Brotherhood had released a tally yesterday that showed its candidate Mursi having nearly 52 per cent of the votes to defeat fallen dictator Hosni Mubarak`s last prime minister, Shafiq, 70, who had about 48 per cent votes in what state TV described as a "very close race".
According to an official timetable laid down by Egypt`s Supreme Presidential Elections Commission (SPEC), final results of the presidential runoff will be announced Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO