Shakira denies plans to sing for Chechnya leader
Los Angeles: Pop star Shakira has denied reports that she had been booked to perform at a birthday celebration for the leader of the war-torn Russian republic of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov.
"Contrary to any misreporting, Shakira is not performing nor was she ever booked to perform a gig for the Chechen President or government," according to a Twitter message by the Colombian singer confirmed as authentic by her spokeswoman Shoshanna Stone.
Last week, sources in Russia`s war-ravaged Chechnya region in the North Caucasus said Shakira would be attending the leader`s 35th birthday celebration with other notables such as US film stars Kevin Costner, Hilary Swank and Eva Mendes, along with British violinist Vanessa-Mae.
Kadyrov, who has ruled the war-torn region since 2007 and was reappointed to the post earlier this year, has overseen several grandiose projects and events in Grozny aimed at boosting his political clout.
But rights groups have long accused him of presiding over a personal militia that they say has carried out serial rights violations, torture and even murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list