Shallow quake measuring 6.1 magnitude strikes off PNG: USGS
Sydney: A shallow quake measuring 6.1 magnitude struck off Papua new Guinea`s Bougainville Island on Wednesday, the US Geological Survey said, but there were immediate reports of damage and no tsunami warning issued.
The tremor, centred 110 km (68 miles) southwest of the town of Arawa on Bougainville, was just 1 km (0.6 miles) deep.
The region has been rocked by numerous strong earthquakes in recent weeks, the strongest measuring magnitude 7.5 on April 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez