Shallow quake measuring 6.1 magnitude strikes off PNG: USGS
Sydney: A shallow quake measuring 6.1 magnitude struck off Papua new Guinea`s Bougainville Island on Wednesday, the US Geological Survey said, but there were immediate reports of damage and no tsunami warning issued.
The tremor, centred 110 km (68 miles) southwest of the town of Arawa on Bougainville, was just 1 km (0.6 miles) deep.
The region has been rocked by numerous strong earthquakes in recent weeks, the strongest measuring magnitude 7.5 on April 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!