Shanghai Cooperation Organisation considers adding Iraq, Pakistan
Beijing: The conflict in Afghanistan and
expanding its membership to include Iran and Pakistan are key
issues facing the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in the
coming year, its new head said.
"In the current global context, the top priority is
finding a solution to the Afghan issue," said
Secretary-General Muratbek Sansyzbayevich Imanaliev during a press conference in Beijing yesterday.
The fear is that instability within Afghanistan`s
borders, where Taliban fighters are challenging the US and
NATO-backed government of Hamid Karzai, could well spill over
into neighbouring countries.
The SCO is a security grouping dominated by Russia and
China that also includes the four Central Asian countries of
Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
"All member countries of the SCO are making active
contributions to the Afghanistan issue, including economic
cooperation and energy support," he said.
Imanaliev said the security bloc is assessing membership
applications submitted by Tehran and Islamabad. The group is
currently reviewing its criteria for new membership. He did
not specify when a decision would be made on their bids.
He said member states are planning to step up cooperation
on regional security issues, particularly the anti-terrorism
effort, as well economic cooperation.
A summit among the six member nations is planned in
Tashkent, Uzbekistan, later this year, though no date has been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues