Shanghai encourages single-child couples to have second baby
Shanghai: Family planning authorities here are encouraging single-child couples to have a second baby.
Single-child couples are allowed to have an additional baby under China`s family planning policy, reported Xinhua.
However, a survey showed such couples are only having on average 1.2 babies in the city, Huang Hong, director with the municipality`s population and family planning committee, told a press conference Tuesday.
Economic conditions, the family environment, work pressures and fertility conditions are among the main factors that affect parents` decision of whether to have an additional child or not, said Huang.
She said 7,000 families in Shanghai have lost their single child so far, bringing sorrow to the families.
Such families have different problems relating to social security, elderly care, medical services and spiritual counselling. The city has been considering establishing a special system to help these families, she said.
Like other cities in China, Shanghai is facing an ageing population. According to the figures released at the conference, Shanghai has a registered population of 14.21 million, and 24.5 percent of them are 60 or over. The percentage is expected to reach 30 percent by 2015.
The family planning policy was first introduced in the late 1970s to rein in China`s surging population by encouraging late marriages and pregnancies, as well as limiting most urban couples to one child and most rural couples to two children, if the first one is a girl.
Under the policy, most couples born in the 1980s in urban areas right now are a single child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?
- East India's first cadaver liver transplant in Kolkata