Sharif seeks to establish civilian hold on Pak cantonments
Islamabad: As part of efforts to establish civilian supremacy in the country, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has formed a committee to give an enhanced role to public representatives in local governments in cantonment boards, a media report on Saturday.
Though the Election Commission has announced local body elections in cantonment boards on November 3 this year, the 12-member committee is reviewing former military ruler Pervez Musharraf`s 2002 ordinance which gave a station commander, usually a brigadier, all financial and executive powers of a cantonment board being its president.
How many powers of a station commander would be curtailed and how much power the civilian public representatives elected by the voters would get is yet to be known, The News daily reported.
According to the 2002 ordinance, the station commander of a cantonment board was also empowered to appoint an equal number of officers as members of the board as those who were elected by the people.
The report said due to this it was the station commander who called the shots instead of the public representatives because he always had a majority on the board.
The station commander also had the veto power over the board as per Musharraf`s ordinance.
Sharif would soon be presented a summary of the draft seeking amendments in the Cantonment Ordinance 2002 in line with Article 140 A of the constitution, the report said.
Empowering the public representatives in cantonment boards is a real test case for Sharif, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly