Shark kills UK honeymoon tourist in Seychelles
Victoria: A shark savaged a British tourist
as his newly-wed wife watched from the beach in the
Seychelles, the second holidaymaker to die in such an attack
this month, police said on Wednesday.
The tourist was hauled onto a boat and taken to shore
following the attack but died from blood loss after the shark
ripped off his arm and tore into his leg, police said.
"Ian Redmond, a 30-year old British man, was on honeymoon
with his wife when he was attacked by a shark while diving at
Anse Lazio," a police statement said.
"The shark tore off his arm and bit a part of his left
leg," it added.
His wife was on the beach -- a famous beauty spot hailed
for its white sand on the archipelago`s Praslin island -- and
watched helplessly as her husband was mauled by the shark.
"Two people who were on a boat not far from the attack
tried to rescue him," the statement added.
"Ian Redmond did not survive his injuries because he had
lost too much blood."
The attack happened yesterday afternoon in the same area
where a shark attacked and killed a 36-year-old French diver
earlier this month.
The newly-wed couple were from Lancashire in northwest
The Seychelles Maritime Safety Authority issued a swimming
ban at the Anse Lazio and Anse Georgette beaches, while
surveillance patrols launched a hunt for the killer shark.
"Fishermen will be undertaking continuous patrols,
research and fishing activities in order to capture the
shark," the maritime authority said in a statement.
It said it would also reinforce a ban of "dumping of waste
from yachts and other boats, which have been reported in some
of these areas," which some fear could have attracted sharks.
Shark attacks are rare in Seychelles, with the last
reported fatal attack before the recent killings in 1963,
according to the government.
The 115-island Indian Ocean archipelago is a popular
top-end tourist destination, with some villa accommodation
costing as much as 10,000 euros per night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?