Sharp rise in US `patriot` extremist groups found
Montgomery (Alabama): A US civil rights group warns that President Barack Obama`s tenure and the gun control debate after last year`s Connecticut school shooting have led to a surge in anti-government "patriot" groups.
The Southern Poverty Law Center on Tuesday reported the rising numbers in its annual report on extremist groups.
The number of patriot groups, one category of extremist organisations tracked by the center, has risen dramatically over the past four years, from 149 groups in 2008 to 1,360 today.
Senior Fellow Mark Potok says the December school shooting and the gun control debate that followed created a "white-hot rage" among extremist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi