Sharp rise in US `patriot` extremist groups found
Montgomery (Alabama): A US civil rights group warns that President Barack Obama`s tenure and the gun control debate after last year`s Connecticut school shooting have led to a surge in anti-government "patriot" groups.
The Southern Poverty Law Center on Tuesday reported the rising numbers in its annual report on extremist groups.
The number of patriot groups, one category of extremist organisations tracked by the center, has risen dramatically over the past four years, from 149 groups in 2008 to 1,360 today.
Senior Fellow Mark Potok says the December school shooting and the gun control debate that followed created a "white-hot rage" among extremist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- Rags to riches: Bihar welder's son bags Rs 1 crore job offer with Microsoft